Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Key Terms to Remember

Determiners precede nouns and come in these flavors:
Articles (definite: the; indefinite: a, an); articles signal nouns ("Noun's a-comin'!")
Demonstrative Pronouns (this, that, these, those--Standard Edited American English; in some other dialects: them ("them pigs ain't worth much to me"), them there [sophistibilly?; "There's gold in them there hills"], them thar [pirate?]); *note some demonstrative pronouns do not function as articles [e.g.: I like this.]
Possessive Nouns: noun plus apostrophe (a pig's eye; to form a singular possessive, add 's to most singular nouns--even those ending in -s, -ss, and -x; thus: Jones's, Congress's, witness's, Sussex's; to from a plural possessives, add an apostrophe to the final -s; thus: The Smiths', The Joneses', bosses')
Possessive Pronouns: my, your, his, her, its, our, their [in some other dialects: y'all's]
Quantifiers (each, no, any, some, one, two, etc.)


A Noun
•Can be plural ("The Joneses' pigs are in town.")
•Can be possessive ("The pig's hoof")
•Occupy the headword position in a noun phrase ("My boss's enormous, squealing pig")
•Is often signaled by a determiner (the pig, a pig, an old pig, an honorable pig, *them pigs [dialect], *them there pigs [dialect], my pig, your pig, its pig, *ya'll's pig [dialect], each pig, no pig, some pigs, one pig, etc.)
•Function as a subject ("The pig enters."), a direct object ("I watch the pig."), an indirect object ("I give the pig my number."), a subject complement ("My dream date is a pig."), an object complement ("I consider her best friend a pig."), and an object of a preposition ("My future happiness depends on the whims of that pig.")


The Verb
•Can be used in present tense ("I run.") and past tense ("I ran.")
•Has an –s form ("She runs.")
•Has an –ing form ("She is running. Forrest Gump is running. You should be running.")

The Adjective
•Has a comparative degree
-er
(“more” when 2 or more syllables)
•Has a superlative degree
-est
(“most” when 2 or more syllables)
•Can pattern with a qualifier (like “very”)
•The ______ noun is very ______.

The Adverb
•Adverbs of manner = adjective+ “ly” (was “like)

•Supplies information related to:
Time (when) "I am thinking about the pig now." "I think about the pig after class." [adverbial phrase]
Place (where) "I put the pig's picture there." "I put the pig's picture on my wall." [adverbial phrase]
Manner (how) "I want the pig badly." "I want the pig in the worst way." [adverbial phrase]
Frequency (how often) "I think of the pig often." "I think of the pig every Saturday night."
Duration (how long) "I think about the pig for long stretches at a time." [adverbial phrase]

•Can often be moved around in a sentence: "Now I am thinking about the pig;" "Often I think about the pig;" "I often think of the pig;" "For long stretches at a time, I think about the pig."

Pronouns
Subject Case
I, you, he, she, it, we, they

Object Case
I, you, him, her, it, us, them

2 comments:

Patricia Scott-Anderson said...

Wow! In the haze of a Nyquil induced stupor.. that sure did look like a whole lot of information, right there!

Mmmhmmm.. I'm thinking I need to do a copy/paste of that little gem to a notebook that I will never, ever lose!

Rodney said...

Sometimes I worry about you. Seriously, a pig?

Anyway, thank you for posting this. And for including my movie quote fo the day.