The exam will cover elements of the midterm (sentence pattern types, verb tenses, sentence elements, passive voice, etc.). The exam will also cover comma placement and lessons that students have presented in the second half of the term, some of which we have been reviewing this week, such as:
- which vs. that
- clear antecedents
- strengthening writing through the use of strong verbs and the excision of adjectives and adverbs
- differentiating between gerunds and progressive verb tenses
- subject and object pronoun use
- combining sentences using relative pronouns and participial phrases
- diagramming simple sentences
Ten percent of your grade on the final will be based on the following assignment:
Find and email me unique examples in Garner of each of the five "stages" referred to in the "Language-Change Index."
Stage 2: forecasted for past-tense of forecast (current ratio: forecast that vs. forecasted that): 9:1.
Due before 9 a.m. on Friday.